When to update User Credentials

There is some internal confusion regarding the actual contents of the credentials. There is no Cognos documentation I’ve found that explicitly states what the user credentials contain, but I’ve deduced that it contains encrypted user ID and password for each namespace the user belongs to. Thus, I’ve been telling our users there is no need to update your credentials if your password hasn’t changed (since we only have one namespace where I work). Am I correct in making that statement? I ask because our users are updating their credentials whenever they “feel” things are “not working right” and I’d like to put an end to that.

We are using 8.4.1 FP3 on Windows Server 2008.

You are absolutely correct. I have worked with these credentials both from custom security providers where I had to create them and from SDK applications. Users would only have to renew them if their password changes. There is really no other reason.

FYI, there is an option in Cognos 10 to have the credentials automatically each time the user logs into Cognos.

I made a type in my post above. The last sentence should have the word renew in it. As in:

“FYI, there is an option in Cognos 10 to have the credentials automatically renew each time the user logs into Cognos.”