Virtual View Manager - Java Script Errors

I’ve been working on getting MS SQL Server connected to Cognos on System z. I just installed Virtual View Manager this morning, however I’m getting the following Java Script errors when clicking on the menu tabs(Monitoring, Logging, Users, Configuration). It leaves VVM virtually(no pun intended) unusable!

Firefox v3.6.13 - Uncaught exception: JavaScript TypeError exception: $doc.getBoxObjectFor is not a function
IE8 - Uncaught exception: JavaScript Error exception: Not implemented

Any ideas? Thank you!

did you double check the supported environments for this version?

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27020051 and http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27019126

Did you apply the required patches for system z as well? did wonders for me in the past… ;D

btw. how do you connect to the SQL server from system Z…?

[quote=“MartijnC, post:2, topic:393”]did you double check the supported environments for this version?

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27020051 and http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27019126

Did you apply the required patches for system z as well? did wonders for me in the past… ;D

btw. how do you connect to the SQL server from system Z…?[/quote]

The web manager for VVM is pretty much useless so I installed the VVM Studio on my Windows machine.

What I was told was to setup VVM to connect to your MSSQL DB using this driver: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/aa937724
And then make an ODBC connection to VVM from Linux

I’ve configured and tested those two successfully but now I’m getting this error message when setting up the Cognos Connection:

QE-DEF-0285 The logon failed. QE-DEF-0323 The DSN(ODBC)/ServiceName is invalid. Either the DSN is missing or the host is inaccessible. RQP-DEF-0068 Unable to connect to at least one database during a multi-database attach to 1 database(s) in: testDataSourceConnection

UDA-SQL-0031 Unable to access the “testDataSourceConnection” database.
UDA-SQL-0532 Data Source is not accessible: “MyDSN”.
[iODBC][Driver Manager]Data source name not found and no default driver specified. Driver could not be loaded

hmmm looks like your driver could not be loaded is the root cause of this…

i have not done much with VVM but much more with Composite server and this kind of configurations. I found some similar docs concering Composite.

Hope this helps somehow… :-\

Verify that all required environment variables has been set. Unix environment variables are case sensitive.

Steps:

1. Logon to unix using the same user you used to install Composite software.
  2. Set the following environment variables.

COMPOSITE_HOME
Location where the driver is installed. This is the full path to the installation directory.

ODBCINI
Full path to the file odbc.ini, which is auto-generated during installation. This should be: <installation_directory>/odbc.ini

ODBCINSTINI
Full path to the file odbcinst.ini, which is auto-generated during installation. This should be: <installation_directory>/odbcinst.ini

LD_LIBRARY_PATH
This is specific to Solaris-based machines. This path refers to the location of the iodbc driver manager files. The default location is: <installation_directory>/apps/odbc/lib

LIBPATH
This is specific to AIX-based machines. This path refers to the location of the iodbc driver manager files. The default location is: <installation_directory>/apps/odbc/lib

SHLIB_PATH
This is specific to HP-UX-based machines. This path refers to the location of the iodbc driver manager files. The default location is: <installation_directory>/apps/odbc/lib

+++++++++++++++++++++

Need to use driverConfig from Composite ODBC installation to configure a DSN on the Cognos8/ReportNet server.

Steps:

1. Add SQL Server data source to Composite Information Server.
  2. Ensure the ODBC component of Composite Information Server is installed on the Cognos 8 machine.
  3. Ensure the following ENV variables are set on the ODBC component installation.
    a. ODBCINI - //odbc.ini
    b. ODBCINSTINI - //odbcinst.ini
    c. COMPOSITE_HOME
    d. LD_LIBRARY_PATH (Solaris/Linux) - //apps/odbc/lib
    e. LIBPATH (AIX) - //apps/odbc/lib
    f. SHLIBPATH (HPUX) - //apps/odbc/lib
  4. Navigate to /apps/odbc/bin/
  5. ./driverConfig
  6. driverConfig menu will be displayed.
    a. Select 3 (Create/Edit DSN)
  7. Select 1 (Create)
  8. Enter the required information: DSN Name, Driver (default), Host (ip/machine name for location of Composite server), Username (admin), Password (admin), Domain (Composite), Datasource, Catalog
  9. Verify information and save or recreate.
  10. Testing the DSN will not be available due to limited licensing of CIS.
  11. In Cognos Connection, create data source using the DSN created with driverConfig above.

Success!!! I forgot to add the odbcinst.ini filename at the end of the ODBCINST environment variable. Otherwise those instructions were exactly what I had followed for VVM.

I’ll post my steps sometime next week after I document everything.

Thanks for your help!!!