Unlocking a report?

hi,
can any one tell me what is the exact use of unlocking a report?
how the values be passed to prompts?
what is a local cache?

plz answer to these as am unable get the exact answers to them

thanks in advance
paddu

Hi Paddu,

local cache specifies whether a query is a candidate for query reuse. If set to Yes, the query engine can reuse
an existing SQL result. If set to No, the query is executed rather than using cached results.

i think you mean the lock button on the toolbar?

You can specify formatting for individual column titles or bodies or for all columns in a list. When you specify formatting for all columns in
a list, the formatting is automatically applied to new columns you subsequently add.
Steps

1. Open the report that you want.
  2. To format an individual column, do the following:
    • Click the column title or column body.
    To format the text in the column title or the data in the column body, click the unlock
    button in the toolbar and then click the title or body.
    To format the whole column, click the select ancestor button in the title bar of the
    Properties pane and click List Column.
    • In the Properties pane, click the property you want and specify a value.
    For example, to specify a background color, click Background Color and choose the color
    you want to use.
  3. To format all columns, do the following:
    • Click a column in the list.
    • To format list column bodies, click the select ancestor button in the title bar of the
    Properties pane and click List Columns Body Style.
    • To format list column titles, click the select ancestor button in the title bar of the
    Properties pane and click List Columns Title Style.
    • To format entire columns, click the select ancestor button in the title bar of the Properties
    pane and click List Columns.
    • To format the entire list, click the select ancestor button in the title bar of the Properties
    pane and click List.
    • In the Properties pane, click the property you want and specify a value.
    For example, to specify a background color, click Background Color and choose the color you
    want to use.
    Formatting for specific columns overrides formatting for entire columns. For example, you specify
    red as the background color for a specific column body and green as the background color for all
    columns. When you run the report, the specific column body is red and the remaining columns in
    the list are green. New columns added to the list will have green as their background color.

what exactly would you like to know? how to create a prompt filter or…? :-\

Hi MartijnC,

thanks for ur info shared really that helped me getting cleared of the topics.

my question about prompts was when we create a prompt in a report how the values be supplied to them from a database (like the internal process)

thanks again for ur replay

best regards,
paddu

a prompt is just a query by the cognos report server but it uses a “high affinity” connection (higher priority than the low affinity connections).

The resultset of the prompt query is not displayed in a report but in your prompt drop box