UDA-SQL-0107 A general exception has occurred during the operation "sqlAOpen"

Hi,

We run a report from Cognos Connection by clicking on the “RUN WITH OPTIONS” button and we get the error message:

“An error occurred while performing operation ‘sqlAOpen’ status=’-9’.”
" UDA-SQL-0107 A general exception has occurred during the operation “sqlAOpen”

The same same report but SCHEDULED to run later is ran with NO error message.

Thanks !

hi,

I had the same with some interactive reports as well, but the scheduled reports did work… :-
Try to add a parameter to the ‘Environment Advanced settings’ for all the Dispatchers in your configuration.

• Select the Launch link and select Cognos Administration.
  • Click on the Configuration tab.
  • Click on Dispatchers and Services
  • Click the Set properties - Configuration icon in the right side of the screen.
  • Click the Setting tab.
  • Click Edit next to Environment Advanced settings.
  • Add the following parameter: RSVP.QUERY.OPTIMIZEQRD with a value of TRUE
  • Stop and restart the Dispatchers.

let me know if this works for you as well!

Hey GuruGirl - what is RSVP.QUERY.OPTIMIZEQRD actually optimize for report? Do you have more info about this Cognos hint? Not recalling seeing this before… :-[

Did I just called you GuruGirl? Sorry… I guess I cloned 2 names here… ;D

Hi Alex,

no problem :wink:
I used this parameter some time ago Cognos 8.2 or 8.3… there the definition i found then"

Query Result Definitions (QRDs) are used in a report to request the data as it should be laid out. This means that for every element on the report page (list, cross-tab, chart, etc.) the layout components create a QRD and hand this over to the query engine (a simplified illustration). The QRD describes in which format the data is expected from the query engine to fit to the user desired layout. As a result, it could be that a lot of QRDs are executed which takes a lot of resources.

The optimization will collect all QRDs and analyze if some parts of the QRDs can be reused or equal to reduce work for the query engine and the database. Especially on large reports there is a good chance to reuse and pool QRDs.

That is great description and I’m wondering why I can’t find anything anywhere (included IBM site) about this hint. Sound I have great chance to test this setting in my environment as I have plenty server recourses to execute QRDs to spread load properly and not bottleneck only in DB side, if of course I understood correctly purpose of it. More details about this (and other similar hints) would be great, so I’m assuming there are more info about it, but I just can’t find it.

Thanks,
Alex

Thanks and sorry for the delay !

If this happens again i will surely inform my support team do try what you have mentionned.

Good day to both of you !