UDA-SQL-0107 A general exception has occurred during the operation "attach"

Hey there - trying to get FM 8.4 FP2 working on my new workstation: Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit with Oracle client 11g 32bit. When I’m testing data source connections on any existing models that working just fine anywhere else (WinXP or directly on Cognos Win2k3 server) I’m getting the same error:

QE-DEF-0285 The logon failed.
QE-DEF-0325 The logon failed for the following reason:
RQP-DEF-0068 Unable to connect to at least one database during a multi-database attach to 1 database(s) in:
"<DB_NAME>"
UDA-SQL-0031 Unable to access the “<DB_NAME>” database.
UDA-SQL-0107 A general exception has occurred during the operation “attach”.

Yes, I added all necessary Environment Variable (ORA_HOME, TNS_ADMIN)
Yes, I tested data sources from Cognos connection.
Yes, I copied ojdbc14.jar to the Cognos local directory (maybe there is new JAR file I need for 11g?)
Yes, Oracle tools (SQL Plus, PL/SQL Developer) working just fine on my workstation.

Cognos support mumbling already a week to try to get something for me, but so far… nothing valuable.

Can someone please get me any suggestion here?

Thanks!!!

Alex,

First of all Windows 7 is NOT supported for Framework manager … :frowning:
Cognos support should know that… ???
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=3442&uid=swg27014110
This means it might work but it has never been tested.

To clarify some points in your post:

1. JDBC driver is only required for the content manager component. The jdbc connection is used for the content store, metrics store(s) and audit database. When you query for example the audit database Cognos used ODBC or native client not jdbc!

2. When you develop in FM a model on a oracle database, you need the oracle database client (preferable same version as the database server) with the 32 bit libraries. When you test a query in you framework manager on your client the LOCAL oracle client software on your pc is used. After publishing to Cognos connection and running queries, the oracle client software on the server is used.

3. be sure that you use the 32 bit libraries and not the 64 bit. SQL plus can connect to the database with both libraries and Cognos with the 32 bits version only.

Try a workstation with a supported OS and see what happens…

good luck!

Thanks for all your comments!

I was able to fixed the issue with DBA help after add full path for ORA_HOME instead of just a name as I was using in the past for 9i or 10g.

BTW: I mentioned that FMs are excising and I didn’t create a new one, so they all work just fine on other WinXP or directly on the server. Also, I’m using all libraries for 32bit version, but anyway… thanks again for your advices!

Sometimes the DBA is very handy ;D

btw. what do you mean exactly with “just a name” for the variable ORA_HOME? i always provide a full/complete path ?

thx!

Yep, exactly as you said: full path instead of just Oracle home name. I never in my 6 years with Cognos used full path for Oracle db, just an actual name (i.e. OraHome1) with 8i, 9i or 10g.

Hi - I am facing the similar issue. Please could you tell me where exactly I have to give the Full Path for Oracle_HOME. I mean in Cognos Server or in Database Server ?

Cognos server

I checked and found that ORACLE_Home has the complete path in .profile

Well this is our environment and what I have tested so far

1 ) Installed Cognos 10.1 on AIX server. Created a new Data SOURCE connection in Cognos Admin with configure JDBC connection as(checked). For connection type I selected SERVICE ID, SERVER NAME etc. and did a test connection which was successful and the new Datasource connection is created.

1. Next I am opening the FM from my desktop (Windows XP) without any oracle client installed locally . Trying to create a new project but when I reach the Select Datasource screen, it lists the Datasource connection I had created on Server in the previous step but when I select and click next . gives the error :

QE-DEF-0285 The logon failed.
QE-DEF-0325 The logon failed for the following reason:
RQP-DEF-0068 Unable to connect to at least one database during a multi-database attach to 1 database(s) in:
RPT1

UDA-SQL-0432 Unable to locate the gateway “cogudaor”.

1. Next I installed Oracle Client on my desktop and edited the tnsnames.ora to include the Instance name. Then tried to open the FM and selected the datasource from list ( i did not create the datasource in FM ) and it successfully passed through. allowed me to select the tables etc… i created the package and published it to server… But then when i create a report in Report studio and try to execute it throws the error :

QE-DEF-0325 The logon failed for the following reason:RQP-DEF-0068 Unable to connect to at least one database during a multi-database attach to 1 database(s) in: RPT1 UDA-SQL-0432 Unable to locate the gateway “libcogudaor”.

… which is quite similar to what I got earlier …

a) So do I really need to have ORacle client installed locally on desktop.
b) What I need to do to resolve this issue.

Thanks for your help

This is something on your AIX server, not with FM or anything.
Did you (someone else who installed Cognos there) test local server connection? Did you try to validate your ODBC.ini file on the server and see if correct entries there? Can you connect to Oracle on your server using SQL*Plus?

Make sure your tnsnames is locally configured as well.

Besides if your OS is 64 bit use the 64 bit oracle client as well.

tnsping works?

I would not agree with last statement: Cognos only supports the 32-bit Oracle client drivers on any 64-bit server installations.

[quote=“Ferran Rohaan, post:10, topic:152”]Make sure your tnsnames is locally configured as well.

Besides if your OS is 64 bit use the 64 bit oracle client as well.

tnsping works?[/quote]

Sashafay is correct. Cognos is not completely 64bit yet. Cognos still requires 32bit DB clients/drivers, even if the OS and the Cognos install is 64it. This is in the documentation as well as on the top of the Supported envs page.

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27017522

“All IBM Cognos 8.4.1 BI 32-bit versions will integrate with 32-bit 3rd party libraries only. IBM Cognos 8.4.1 BI 64-bit installs will integrate with 64-bit Java environments only, other integration points require 3rd party 32-bit libraries.

works for me though

It may works for you, but not recommended as you can get unpredictable result, so to avoid it: use Oracle 32-bit version on 64-bit machine.