TM1 - How to have more than 1 Hierarchy under the same Dimension?

Hi to all,

1- We followed the step by steps described in the document named “C8 reporting from TM1 data source[1].docx”
+
we had to create a certain “Turbo Integrator” process.

2- Unfortunately the result was not what we expected.

3- We were in deed able to create new levels under the same hierarchy but the levels were not accurate.
Also, we were still not able to have MORE than 1 hierarchy under the same DIMENSION

CONCLUSION: We can’t seem to see in Report Studio more than one Hierarchy under one same dimension.
Did someone had any luck with it. Did someone really tried it and was it succesfull ?

Thanks in advance to anyone in this great forum !

TM1 is not like Powerplay a truly dimensional construct where alternative hierarchies are possible TM1 is relational data is processed dimensionally in-memory. You could try setting up separate hierarchies with your TM1 data, without placing them into the same dimension. TM1 is fast enough that should meet your needs…

cheers

Thanks for the information CognosGuru, i will consider that.

In fact IBM’s Support Team has confirmed me that this is not possible … :’(

But that many MDX functions will still be supported. :stuck_out_tongue:

I told them i will test the mdx functions i need to use as Descendants and will make sure that they work as expected otherwise they will need to help me on this.

:frowning:

[quote=“sargon.le.grand, post:1, topic:229”]Hi to all,

1- We followed the step by steps described in the document named “C8 reporting from TM1 data source[1].docx”
+
we had to create a certain “Turbo Integrator” process.

2- Unfortunately the result was not what we expected.

3- We were in deed able to create new levels under the same hierarchy but the levels were not accurate.
Also, we were still not able to have MORE than 1 hierarchy under the same DIMENSION

CONCLUSION: We can’t seem to see in Report Studio more than one Hierarchy under one same dimension.
Did someone had any luck with it. Did someone really tried it and was it succesfull ?

Thanks in advance to anyone in this great forum ![/quote]

We too are facing a similar situation…
For eg, in our reporting tool, we have business units as the base elements and a hierarchy of rollup of business units to reach the total holding company. We need to have different types of rollups depending upon the type of business and the type of activities to reach the holding company. Is it possible to have two hierarchies within the same dimension?? :-[ :’(

Quote:
‘TM1 is not like Powerplay a truly dimensional construct where alternative hierarchies are possible TM1 is relational data is processed dimensionally in-memory. You could try setting up separate hierarchies with your TM1 data, without placing them into the same dimension. TM1 is fast enough that should meet your needs…’

I’ve been working with OLAP for 23 years and with TM1 for 15. Your second sentence is - how can I put it - ‘inoperative’. However it is important to understand TM1’s rather unusual approach to multiple hierarchies.

A TM1 element can have multiple children and multiple parents. The multiple parents don’t have a specific hierarchy to them, but data will roll up in all the directions available in your structures. So it’s quite straightforward to have multiple hierarchies, but they don’t have names. (Coming originally from an Oracle Express background I wish they did, but I’ve got used to it by now.)

To see the hierarchies, open up the subset editor, select all, then sort by hierarchy - Edit\Sort\Hierarchy.