The doc of "import specifications" isn't rich with examples or explanations

Greetings to you, more experienced colleagues!

Now I am in hard-working process of Cognos Controller implementation in Kiev, Ukraine (Eastern Europe), started from 04 oct 2010.
At this point we have CC-server, that is working in LAN of our customer.

All process is working well, but I have a few troubles, that begin to pose a threat to the implementation of the project. The most hot trouble - is to setting up the process of data import via staging tables. The simple case of data import (without any operation) was successful.

But, I have need to change some data (f.e. account code). My continuous attempts was not successful, because of understanding lack in application of operation in import specification.

Last result is:
I have the import specification, named “XSTAGEFACTS03”.
I set (on Fields(1) tab) the field ACCOUNT to use existed operation _ACCOUNTS1.
Operation _ACCOUNTS1 have 2 chain-rows
first - GetItem (with and/or without any kind of optioanal arguments).
second - LOOKUP (with existed table LOOKUP01 and ‘ON NO MATCH EXCLUDED’ as argument).

This described example still not working, for my very sorry. The question IS -

1. How to use operations in import specification?
    OR
  2. Where can I find more intelligibly document, that describe this situation?

Thank you!

Valery.

Hi Valery,

which controller version are you using and which database is controller using for these imports? SQL i suppose?

[quote=“CognosGuru, post:2, topic:362”]Hi Valery,

which controller version are you using and which database is controller using for these imports? SQL i suppose?[/quote]
Hi, CognosGuru!

We are using Cognos Controller ver. 8.5.1, on 2 servers (main and experimental)

The environment is …

… on MAIN server
OS - WindowsServer2008 R2 Ent
DB - MS SQL 2008 R2
Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.0.7600.16385
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0.50727.4952
IIS 7.5
MS Visual Studio 9.0.30729.4462

… on EXPERIMENTAL server (on virtual machine)
WindowsServer2003 Ent SP2
MS SQL 2005
Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.13
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0.50727.3615
IIS 6.0
MS Visual Studio 8.0.50727.42

The described experimental works with data import, we have on second EXPERIMENTAL server.

What is the exeact error message you get? and at what stage?

1. .Net message, COM+, SQL message or Controller application message?
  2. what does the windows event viewer say?
  3. are all the other controller functions working correctly as well?
  4. Are you using the correct/supported sql collation settings on both SQL servers?

do i understand correctly that you have the same import working on the other sql 2005 server?

All services are working correctly if I use standard import process, that move data from XSTAGEFACTS to CC. That data I see in created reports for selected accounts and periods.

Troubles start when I want create the transfer operation with changing values of field ACCOUNT, by the value of any other field (f.e. by the value of any of extended dimension).
F.e. I simply want to move all values of record with account abc10 to account xyz11 .

Errors (on server event viewer), that are appeared, most like this:

The VB Application identified by the event source logged this Application FrDImportBT Error No=-2147219018,
(this is common part of all errors)
and next variants as continued

[ul][li]Source=DIengine:ReportError#clsDIengine.GetLookupValue#clsDIengine.PerformOperation#clsDIengine.ParseLine#clsDIengine.ImportDataToLocalRS, Description=, HelpFile= HelpContext=0[/li]
[li]Source=DIengine:ReportError#clsDIengine.GetLookupValue#clsDIengine.PerformOperation#clsDIengine.ParseLine, Description=, HelpFile= HelpContext=0[/li]
[li]Source=DIengine:ReportError#clsDIengine.GetLookupValue#clsDIengine.PerformOperation, Description=, HelpFile= HelpContext=0[/li]
[li]Source=DIengine:ReportError#clsDIengine.GetLookupValue, Description=, HelpFile= HelpContext=0[/li]
[li]Source=DIengine:ReportError, Description=, HelpFile= HelpContext=0[/li]
[li]Source=DIengine:ReportError#clsDIengine.GetLookupValue#clsDIengine.PerformOperation#clsDIengine.ParseLine#clsDIengine.ImportDataToLocalRS, Description=, HelpFile= HelpContext=0[/li][/ul]

One error I get also in application, in ‘Import from Staging Table’, like this

Error No 1016
Error Text The value must be numeric
Row No 1
Data 1011,AC,400040,USD,B1100201,100,5,

I see full record above, but I still don’t understad how to parse it.

Can I receive any help about the described situation?
As I understand this situation linked with ability to create right operation in import cpecification.