I have a weird situation at my client place and need your guidance regarding the recovery/ restore.
It has been a while that I have worked on Cognos 7 and in the recent past I moved on to c8 and c10. I worked as a developer in c7 version
and know nothing about administration of c7 version.
My client is dependent upon the Power Play cubes and reports related to c7. Could you please help me understand and give me advice as to where I should jump start to recover the environment.
Crashed Server: Windows NT
New Server: Windows 2003
No support with IBM.
No Back up/ Disaster recovery server.
Fired the entire BI team who handled the project by far and hired me (Cognos Admin) to support their current situation.
They have a image restored from the crashed server.
Have multiple gateways in crn and c8.
Have multiple namespace defined for security using Cognos series 7 (Access Manager), LDAP and Active Directory.
Oracle database for everything.
- Client says they have backup files related to c7 such as .iwr and .mdc and not sure about else they want me to have for restoring.
- They want me to perform a fresh installation of cognos 7 and use the back up files to restore in the new Windows 2003 server.
- Where should I start from?
- I know it is dumb to ask this but anyone has experienced such an issue and how long it would take to restore the entire environment and help start the environment running.
- What all backup files I need to perform the restoration?
- Will there be a version incompatibility issue if I use a different Cognos 7 installation other than the one that has been used in the crashed server?
I shall appreciate any additional advice that you might have for me.
What a way to start working for Christmas! :’(
Happy Christmas to all the readers!