Installation of Cognos 10...inheritance of confusion

I am the heir of a project to install Cognos 10. My predecessor began the installation that is to replace our current system Cognos 8.4. From what I can tell, the installation is a distributed install with application tier components and content manager loaded on separate servers. What appears to be missing (not loaded) are framework manager and transformer. Also not loaded are the deployments of content from our 8.4 system to the new system. When I first inherited this, it would not come up due to an error with connecting to the content store. I was able to get the system to come up after changing some network settings on the content manager server. However, today, the system will not come up due to not being able to connect to the content manager database. The content manager database is Oracle. I have checked the login and password to make sure they are correct (although they have not been changed). The error I get is "CM-CFG-5063 A Content Manager error was detected while connecting to the content store. The connection string is “jdbc:oracle:thin:@databasename:1521:service”. The error encountered is “Listener refused the connection with the following error: ORA-12505, TNS:listener does not currently know of SID given in connect descriptor…”. I am not sure why this has suddenly stopped working. I am trying to decide if it would be better to wipe out this install and redo it. This would be my first install…so I am hesitant.

The OS is Windows Server 2008R2. The Oracle version is 10.2.0.

Thanks for any advice.

Check the following:

1. tnsping
  2. Check if ojdbc5.jar exist under \Program Files\ibm\cognos\c10\webapps\p2pd\WEB-INF\lib
  3. Run ‘test’ under Data access -> ContentManager

if you did not change anything and the Cognos configuration does not chnage anything, the database component remains…

Talk to the Oracle DBA. Perhaps they did chnage something to the oracle database configuration, SID or…?

As it turned out, there was a problem with the Oracle DB. When the server was rebooted, the connection worked once again. Thank you for your replies. I do appreciate it. I expect that I will post more before everything is in place.

Thx for sharing the solution with us! :slight_smile: