IBM Cognos Service Failed

Hi everyone,

I am working on my first install of Cognos 8. I am setting up a distributed installation with the Content Manager, Application Tier, Data Source(Oracle) and Gateway on 4 separate systems(z/Linux(SLES11).

On the Content Manager server I have installed the Content Manager and Cognos Content Store components. I removed the default store and setup our Data Source connection with our Oracle server. I tested connections with Oracle and the Mail Server, everything succeeded.

I clicked Actions > Start to start all services. Everything went smooth until the Cognos 8 Service failed with the following errors/warnings:

–Configuration Startup Details
CFG-ERR-0106 IBM Cognos Configuration did not receive a response from the IBM Cognos 8 service in the time allotted…

–COGSERVER.LOG
xx.xx.xx.xx:9300 24145 2010-04-06 09:31:09.431 -5 Election_SESS Election_REQ Thread-20 CM 6013 1 Audit.cms.CM StartService Warning CM-REQ-4296 An HTTP request to the connector “{connector}” timed out.

Everything else succeeds in loading and the test page http://host:9300/p2pd/servlet shows that the Service is Running.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if you need more info. TIA

hi,

you have to start the content manager server first.(as you probably did). When you startup Cognos content manager it will use the oracle JDBC driver to make this connection. I have some questions:

1. Which version of Oracle do you use
  2. Which oracle JDBC driver do you use in the c8/webapps/p2pd/WEB-INF/lib directory?
  3. Does the Oracle user have the proper permissions in order to create the content store tables?
  4. Can login to the oracle database with the SAME schema user you use for the contentstore connection defined in Cognos configuration manager? with sqlplus or toad for example.

please let me know the results.

Admin

@admin

To answer your questions first:

1. Oracle 10.2.0.4.0
  2. I had the ojdbc14.jar in that directory but I had java-1.6.0-ibm installed.
    3/4 No issues with Oracle permissions.

Since yesterday I have uninstalled java-1.6.0-ibm from the Content Manager server and installed java-1.5-ibm via RPM(yast did not show java1.5 from IBM).

I copied over the ojdbc5.jar file and now when I run ./cogconfig I get the following error:

Update for this morning(4/8):
Cognos Configuration begins to start if I fail to set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH correctly or at all. However as it loads the following error occurs:

And I am instructed to reinstall the software.

Hi,

you are a true hero when your first Cognos install is a distributed one on Linux! 8)

FT_Select_Size should be defined in libfreetype.so.6 from the libfreetype6 package. You either have an outdated version of this package, or your libfontconfig.so.1 links against the wrong libfreetype.so.6.

You can check which library you are missing when execute the following command:

ldd /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1

Your answers:

1. ok
  2. the correct jdbc driver ojdbc14.jatr is for oracle10, ojdbc5.jar is for oracle 11
    3./4. ok

it looks like you have a 64bits OS but cognos does only support the 32 bit libraries for Oracle.!

what are your environment variables?
PATH
LD_LIBRARY_PATH
JAVA_HOME

Did you install a 32 or 64 bit version on your OS? and btw WHICH cognos version have you installed ?? 8.4, 8.4.1???

Admin

Version(64bit) - 8.4.1 (build shows 8.4.6013.0)

Environment Variables:
CM Server:

[ul][li]PATH= /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/games:/usr/lib/mit/bin:/usr/lib/mit/sbin:/usr/bin/java:[/li]
[li]JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib64/jvm/jre[/li]
[li]LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/data1/cognos/c8_64/bin:/data1/cognos/c8_64/cgi-bin[/li][/ul]

Reporting Server:

[ul][li]PATH= /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/games:/usr/lib64/jvm/jre/bin:/usr/lib/mit/bin:/usr/lib/mit/sbin[/li]
[li]JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib64/jvm/jre[/li]
[li]LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/data1/cognos/c8_64/bin:/data1/cognos/c8_64/cgi-bin[/li][/ul]

I’ve had some success since this morning. The Content Manager Server is now fully starting without error. It is working with ojdbc5.jar and now I have switched it to ojdbc14.jar per your info without error.

On the ApplicationsTier server I am receiving this error when starting the services:

(localhostIP):9300 32268 2010-04-08 11:46:23.408 -5 BootstrapConfigurePublish na 0 Thread-22 DISP 6009 1 Audit.Other.dispatcher.DISP.pogo pogo com.cognos.pogo.contentmanager.coordinator.BootstrapConfigurePublish Failure DPR-DPR-1035 Dispatcher detected an error. Failed to send HTTP request or read HTTP response Error configuring Failed to send HTTP request or read HTTP responsecom.cognos.pogo.bibus.CommandExecutionException: Failed to send HTTP request or read HTTP response

…continued

(ContentManagerIP):9300/p2pd, registerInCM, Failure.
DPR-DPR-1026 Unable to register the dispatcher in Content Manager - (ContentManagerIP):9300/p2pd/servlet at this time. Will try periodically. Failed to send HTTP response
com.cognos.pogo.contentmanager.coordinator.CMBoostrap, pogo, failure
DPR-DPR-1035 Dispatcher detected an error
CFG-ERR-0106 IBM Cognos Config did not receive a response from the IBM Cog8 Service in the time alloted.

hmmm,

sounds like a configuration error in one or 2 configuration managers on the content server and dispatcher server.

configuration manager content manager server:
gateway URL points to gateway server
dispatcher server URL points to dispatcher server
content manager points to content manager server (it self)

configuration manager Dispatcher server
gateway URL points to gateway server
dispatcher server URL points to dispatcher server (it self)
content manager points to content manager server

Do NOT use localhost in a distributed environment in the configuration manager.!

btw: can the dispatcher reach the content manager server on port 9300??

telnet 9300 (on windows not sure if this works on linux as well)… :-\

do you use fully quallified names for the servers or IP addresses?

hope this helps! :slight_smile:

@admin

wow, you’ve been a big help. I resolved that issue with the “correct” settings. I fired up the Gateway and WebServer and now have this error:

I figure I must still have one of the URIs wrong. Guess I still don’t fully get the terminology :-\

Here are the IP settings for the 3 servers in the Environment properties. If I left out a field its cause installing only the one component per server did not include them. Thanks again for your help! Have a great weekend.

(ALL URIs use IP Addresses)
Content Manager Server:

Dispatcher Settings
	External - ContentManagerIP
	Internal - ContentManagerIP
Other URI Settings
	Dispatcher URI - ApplicationServerIP
	Content Manager - ContentManagerIP

Application Server:

Gateway Settings
	Gateway URI - GatewayIP
Dispatcher Settings
	External - ApplicationServerIP
	Internal - ApplicationServerIP
Other URI Settings
	Content Manager - ContentManagerIP

Gateway Server:

Gateway Settings
	Controller URI - ApplicationServerIP

Hi looks like the dispatcher is not active on the content manager server

By default, this service is disabled on a server where Content Manager is the only component that is installed.

Launch Cognos Configuration on the content manager server, and enable the Dispatcher service.

Steps:

1. Launch Cognos Configuration from the start menu
  2. Expand ‘Local Configuration’ - ‘Environment’
  3. Select ‘IBM Cognos 8 Service’
  4. On the right hand side, select ‘Dispatcher service enabled?’
  5. Modify the setting from ‘False’ to ‘True’
  6. Click the ‘save’ icon at the top-left corner
  7. Click the ‘restart service’ icon
  8. After the Cognos 8 service has restarted, test.

you probably have to restart the dispatcher service as well…

the errormessage [quote=“TROndrey, post:7, topic:189”]can be found in the cogserver.log in the c8/logs directory. Search for #8 to see the complete error.

cheers :slight_smile:

thank you @admin, i had a feeling it was that. I’ve been able to get all the servers up and running now except for an issue with the Gateway. When I configure the Apache httpd.conf file for the cognos module and restart the server I get the following error:

According to the IBM site I need to uninstall Apache64 and install Apache32. Not really gonna happen since SLES11 only has packages for Apache64. Gonna be putting in a ticket for this one.

Thanks again for all your help. Hopefully this thread will serve other nut cases attempting a distributed install.