Files/directories located in the Cognos 8 Temp directory

Hi,

i got the following question from a customer of mine:
What are the files/directories located in the Cognos 8 Temp directory?

of course i know some of the files and what they are used for but does someone have a list or document which explains these files/directories and their purpose?

thx!

i do not have an official document but you can probably :-\ use this as a starter:

The files created are the UDA file and the CCLVPage file as the main ones for a report running in Windows or UNIX.
The UDA file is the file with the data that is retrieved from the Database, and is the Cognos 8 data workfile.
The CCLVPage file is the file that contains the report output, in the format specified by the report.
The dmbTempxxxxx.dmc file is the file that holds ‘cube’ data for the report, and is also a temporary file that gets created during the Report Run.
The Axisxxxaxis file is created by Event Studio. Cognos 8.3 and newer has the functionality to remove the older Axisxxxaxis files.

There is also the CM directory, where the temporary PDF files will be created, named for instance CM_98765.tmp, and these are the output for any PDF report.

There are other directories also in C8/Temp, in which files get stored, for example the SDS directory where the JobQueue and the MailQueue is located.

some extra info… :smiley:
The temporary directory may contain large files at certain times, depending on server activity. If the load on the server is such that many users are running reports, these directories require sufficient diskspace to accommodate files from all the users.
The …/Temp directory can be located anywhere on the system, to ensure that there is enough space. This is done in Cognos Configuration, under the Environment entry, by changing the value for Temporary files location to the desired path. Save and restart the service(s) again.

hope this helps.

Alright then… let me add my 5 cents to the nice layout that Mr. Administrator put together here (I learn something here too, especially about Event Studio temp files, never noticed that… :slight_smile:

1. If your system in trouble, do NOT delete any temp files, how large that could be. Cognos Support can do a magic to parsed those files by pieces to get valuable info out of it. That is only for your benefit. Not sure why those .DMP files are encrypted, probably Cognos doesn’t want their error/mistakes goes public… :smiley:
  2. Very useful to change location of TEMP files if you use Transformer system. If you have another drive use that. TEMP directory can go wild during large cube process and you may run out of space easily on the middle of the night.

Hope that helps!

Alex

If your system in trouble, do NOT delete any temp files, how large that could be. Cognos Support can do a magic to parsed those files by pieces to get valuable info out of it. That is only for your benefit. Not sure why those .DMP files are encrypted, probably Cognos doesn't want their error/mistakes goes public... Cheesy

With the links here you can find a way to read the dmp files! 8)

Steps:
Click the link

http://www.cogknowhow.com/index.php/knowledge-articles/68-ibm-cognos-10/362-how-to-read-bibustkservermainsehdmp-files-in-bin-directory

Now the only thing to do is to find out what the error caused… i do not completely understand it…yet? :-[