Failed to secure the ReportNet server

Hi,
I’m installing Cognos 1.1.4 and, close to the end, the installation setup returns the following error message box “Failed to secure the ReportNet server”. No other information is provided on this msg box.
As a result, when I try to access the report server (http://:/SerletGateway/servlet/Gateway) I get this error: “DPR-GTY-5000 Communications failed while attempting to forward the request to dispatcher. Make sure ReportNet is running.”

Does anyone have any idea of what is happening?
???
Thnx
P

P.S. - Actually the installer installs Cognos ReportNet 1.1.601.22 plus 1.1.601.101 patch.

Hi,

Still busy with reportnet? It is almost 1 year ago that Reportnet gothis “end-of-life” status… :wink:

I have some additional questions for you:

If i understand your question correctly you are using a servlet gateway to connect to the Dispatcher, right?

1. Is it a single or multi server installation?
  2. Is the dispatcher running? ;D
  3. What does the cogserver.log tell you? Something about cryptographic messages?
  4. Is it a windows, unix or linux install? then it might have something to do with permissions or paths…

please let me know

Hi,

Thanx for the reply.
:wink:

First of all, let me say that I’m far from being an expert on Cognos.
:-\

Yes, I am using servlet gateway to connect to the Dispatcher.

These are the answers to you questions, and, by the way, I’m sorry for not giving you this info on my first post.
:wink:

1. Using a single server installation.
  2. I identify two services running: “Cognos ReportNet” and “Cognos ReportNet Gateway”, and they are both running.
  3. Couldn’t find cogserver.log, but will meanwhile try to check logging options on Cognos Configuration. According to Cognos configuration, there should be a crnserver.log, but, strangely, none was created, during installation.
  4. It is a Windows Server 2003 SP2, running on a Citrix XenServer (free) virtual server.

Once more, thnx.

1. Single server is OK and he most easiest configuration. Select all components during installation, open cognos configuration manager and you can leave als the URLs to localhost. Configure the contentstore jdbc database connection and start. See if this configuration works fine. If it does work, make a WAR or EAR file which you can deploy for your servlet gateway and change the configuration.

2. what is the response of the reportnet dispatcher if you execute the this URL in internet explorer?
    http://localhost:9300/p2pd/servlet/dispatch

3. You are right in reportnet this log file is called crnserver.log, located in the \crn\logs\crnserver.log. unless you have changed this location in the Cognos configuration manager. This log file is created during startup of the reportnet configuration…

4. this windows version has IIS 6 and therefore web extension. for testing purposes described at point 1, set the CGI and ISAPI both to “Allow”

5. What type of database do you use for the contentstore? you need a jdbc driver for this connection in the \crn\webapps\WEB-INF\lib directory to make this connection.

6. do you see database tables in the contentstore database?

cheers!

I tried another reinstallation of the software. After the “failed to secure the ReportNet Server” error, a Java Virtual Machine InstallShield window returns the following error that I will try to transcribe:

java.io.IOException: CreateProcess: “C:\Programas\Verint Systems\ReportNet\crn\bin\cmplstupdate.exe” error=2
at java.lang.Win32Process.create(Native Method)
at java.lang.Win32Process.(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Runtime.execInternal(Native Method)
at java.lang.Runtime.exec(Unknown Source)
at com.installshield.util.Java2ProcessExec.processExec(Unknown Source)
at com.installshield.wizardx.actions.ExecWizardAction.executeProcess(Unknown Source)
at com.installshield.wizardx.actions.ExecWizardAction.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

When I execute URL “http://localhost:9300/p2pd/servlet/dispatch” it returns “Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage”. Same thing happens when I execute URL “http://localhost:8383/ServletGateway/”. When I do this the following error occurs: “DPR-GTY-5000 Communications failed while attempting to forward the request to dispatcher. Make sure ReportNet is running.” (both services - Reportnet Server and ReportNet Gateway) are running.

Checked databases and actually they don’t havy any tables. Why??

Regarding IIS 6, I believe Cognos ReportNet uses Tomcat, since we’ve got another installation system running Cognos without IIS.

We using SQL Server 2005 Express Edition, and no JDBC is configured. Will install SP2, meanwhile, and try a new installation of ReportNet.

I’m installing ReportNet on a Windows Server 2003 Server with a Portuguese Locale.

It is a while ago since i worked with Reportnet… ;D, but it is the ancestor of Cognos 8 and the components work mainly the same so i’ll give it a try…

When Cognos is strated, first the cogbootstrap.exe process is executed, which will start the java.exe process and the later the BIBusmain.exe process. The logfile crnserver.log is created when the java.exe is executed to which starts the JVM. In this fase the contentstore tables are created as well. I remember from the past that sometimes the service was started but the JVM was NOT started at all! Then you get simular error messages like this.

so, check if these processes are available (maybe slightly different name i provided, but i do not have a reportnet vmware images anymore…), i guess the java process is not running. Probably because the jdbc connection to your SQL server is not working correctly. So recheck the contentstore connect definitions in Cognos configuration manager. (Cognos 8 has a test button for this… ;)) Check the other logfiles in the c8\logs directory as well, (tomcat.log etc)

The SQL 2005 jdbc driver is required on the reportnet server to let Cognos reportnet connect to the content store database. Just install the SQL 2005 ful client (CD2) the get the full client software. Then start reportnet from the cognos configuration manager and check if the tables are created, if not, check if the SQL server is reachable with a ping command and make sure there is not a firewall interfering…

When the tables are created let me know if your require more assistance.

One other thought is that back in the mists of time, I recall the Java Cryptographic Environment (JCE) that shipped with the ReportNet install passed an undocumented expiry date, and suddenly all ReportNet installations stopped working and would not install. Sun shipped a set of updated JCE files to Cognos, who then had to quickly distribute them to ReportNet sites to fix the problem.

Here is a copy of the Advisory issued by Cognos at the time:

Expiry of JCE Certificate May Cause Run-time Failure
in Cognos ReportNet and Cognos Metrics Designer
Advisory Reference: ADVCRN04_0405
Updated: July 15, 2005
Impact: Possible fatal run-time error in Cognos ReportNet and Cognos Metrics Designer

Product(s) Affected
• Cognos ReportNet 1.02
• Cognos ReportNet 1.1
• Cognos ReportNet 1.1 MR1
• Cognos ReportNet 1.1 MR2
• Cognos Metrics Designer 2.2
• Cognos Metrics Designer 2.2 MR1
• Cognos Metrics Designer 2.2 MR2
Description
Cognos ReportNet
Existing Cognos ReportNet product for Windows shipped version 1.3.1 of Sun’s Java Runtime Environment (JRE). In addition, Cognos ReportNet for Windows shipped version 1.2.1 of Sun’s Java Cryptographic Provider (JCE 1.2.1). For Cognos ReportNet UNIX, JCE 1.2.1 was provided with instructions to copy to the customer installed JRE, but it was not installed during the Cognos ReportNet installation process.
JCE uses a signed jar verification routine to vet any cryptographic providers. The JCE version 1.2.1 does not allow legitimate providers to load after July 27, 2005. JCE version 1.2.2 addresses this.
Additional information on this issue

To avoid this issue, JCE 1.2.2 must be installed in any JRE 1.3.1 environment. To determine if you are affected by this issue, you must determine if you are using JCE 1.2.1 in JRE 1.3.1 and if so, replace JCE 1.2.1 with JCE 1.2.2. Verify all machines, including Cognos Framework Manager installations.
Cognos ReportNet version 1.1 has fixed this issue in Hot Site kits 1.1.414.36 and above.

Cognos Metrics Designer
Cognos Metrics Designer may also encounter this issue if using ReportNet packages as sources for Cognos Metrics Manager. To determine if you are affected by this issue, you must determine if you are using JCE 1.2.1 in JRE 1.3.1 and if so, replace JCE 1.2.1 with JCE 1.2.2.
Cognos Metrics Designer version 2.2 Windows has fixed this issue in 2.2.100.10.

Suggested Action(s)
To minimize the potential of a fatal run-time error in Cognos ReportNet or Cognos Metrics Designer, we strongly recommend that you determine if your Cognos ReportNet or Cognos Metrics Designer installation relies on JCE version 1.2.1 and if so, download and install the updates for the product applicable to you. Cognos will not be liable for any loss or damages arising from the failure to implement these recommended directions.

Instructions to Determine if JCE 1.2.1 is Installed in Your JRE Environment
To determine if you have JCE 1.2.1 installed in your JRE environment do the following:

Instructions for Cognos ReportNet Windows

1. Back up your environment.
  2. Change directory to the install directory for Cognos ReportNet. (eg. cd c:\Program Files\crn).
  3. Under the CRN_ROOT directory change directory to the bin\jre\1.3.1\lib\ext.
  4. Within the ext directory, verify if the file jce1_2_1.jar exists.

If it exists, it must be removed from the ext directory (note that renaming will not be sufficient, copying the file to another directory is acceptable) and replaced with jce1_2_2.jar.

Update the JCE by downloading the compressed file from the link below and copy all four of the uncompressed files to the <ReportNet_Home>\ bin\jre\1.3.1\lib\ext directory.
Instructions for Cognos Metrics Designer Windows

2. Change directory to the install directory for Cognos Metrics Designer.

(eg. cd c:\Program Files\pd1).
3. Under the install directory change directory to the bin\jre\1.3.1\lib\ext.
4. Within the ext directory, verify if the file jce1_2_1.jar exists.

If it exists, it must be removed from the ext directory (note that renaming will not be sufficient, copying the file to another directory is acceptable) and replaced with jce1_2_2.jar.

Update the JCE by downloading the compressed file from the link below and copy all four of the uncompressed files to the Pd1\ bin\jre\1.3.1\lib\ext directory.
Instructions for Cognos ReportNet Unix

2. Determine the JRE used by Cognos ReportNet.

This may be pointed to by the JAVA_HOME environment variable.
3. Determine the version of this JRE.

If it is version 1.4 and above your installation is not affected by this problem. If you are running version 1.3.1 then proceed to step 4.
4. Change directory to JAVA_HOME/lib/ext.
5. Within the ext directory, verify if the file jce1_2_1.jar exists.

Instructions for Cognos Metrics Designer Unix

2. Determine the JRE used by Cognos Metrics Designer.

This may be pointed to by the JAVA_HOME environment variable.
3. Determine the version of this JRE.

If it is version 1.4 and above your installation is not affected by this problem.

If you are running version 1.3.1 then proceed to step 4.
4. Change directory to JAVA_HOME/lib/ext.
5. Within the ext directory, verify if the file jce1_2_1.jar exists.

Update the JCE by downloading the compressed file from the link below and copy all four of the uncompressed files to the JAVA_HOME/lib/ext directory.
Alternatively, download the following program to the Cognos ReportNet or Cognos Metrics Designer bin directory and run it. It will display the version of JCE used. This program will identify the JCE version even if the file name has been changed in the ext directory. Note that version 1.2 will be displayed if JCE version 1.2.1 is installed.

JCE Version Display Program
UNIX | Windows

If you have JCE 1.2.1 installed in your JRE environment, you must download and install version 1.2.2. Download the compressed file from the link below and copy all four of the uncompressed files to the appropriate directory.

For Windows platforms, copy the files to the <Cognos_product_Home>\ bin\jre\1.3.1\lib\ext directory. For UNIX platforms, copy the files to the JAVA_HOME/lib/ext directory.

Cognos ReportNet and Cognos Metrics Designer update for all platforms
All languages