DPR-DPR-1004;Expecting a BI Bus XML response but got: \n\n

What are the possible causes of the DPR-DPR-1004;Expecting a BI Bus XML response but got: error?

The situation is this: I am running Cognos 8.4 on a VM server running Windows 2003 Server R2 and have a content store database in SQL Server 2005 located on a remote database server. The service is running on WAS 6.1.0.21 that was installed as part of the Rational Quality Manager Report Server 2.0.0.1. I have set up the Cognos configuration for the correct content store database and the configuration tests fine. I built the *.ear file and installed it in WAS. I can go to the URL for the servlet on WAS and see the Cognos Content Store is running. When I try to go to the dispatch URL I get an error stating that the dispatcher is not ready. In looking at the cogserver.log I see the DPR-DPR-1004 error message with no other information. What could be the problem?

Hi John,

Can you provide us with more information about the Cognos environment, like versions, OS, application server etc…

Do you use Websphere instead of the default tomcat by any chance?

The situation is this: I am running Cognos 8.4 on a VM server running Windows 2003 Server R2 and have a content store database in SQL Server 2005 located on a remote database server. The service is running on WAS 6.1.0.21 that was installed as part of the Rational Quality Manager Report Server 2.0.0.1. I have set up the Cognos configuration for the correct content store database and the configuration tests fine. I built the *.ear file and installed it in WAS. I can go to the URL for the servlet on WAS and see the Cognos Content Store is running. When I try to go to the dispatch URL I get an error stating that the dispatcher is not ready. In looking at the cogserver.log I see the DPR-DPR-1004 error message with no other information. What could be the problem?

hi John,

Did you add the default host port as a virtual host alias in Websphere Application Server? This is the port number that is specified in Cognos Configuration for the dispatcher URI.

check it to be sure…

Hi John,

WAS instead of tomcat, i supspected that already… Then you have more risk to encounter this kind of messages.

Add the default host port as a virtual host alias in Websphere… hmm it might work CognosGuru!

Under Environment -Virtual Hosts - Default Host - Host Aliases, confirm that there is an entry for the port number assigned to the new application server default host
If the port number does not appear, click New
Enter * for Host Name and the appropriate port number for Port
Confirm that the port number has been added under Virtual Hosts - Default Host - Host Aliases
You may need to redeploy the ear file and restart the new JVM. (worked for me a few times in the past) :-\

Well, I did get the problem solved. It was not the port number. The problem can down to the difference in the capitalization of the application context root in building the application and the capitalization in the gateway setting for Cognos, and the defaults used for building the application. The application build defaults did not include checking “Include static files from the Webcontent folder” and “include documentation and sample files from the Webcontent folder”.

The gateway and dispatcher setting used a URI like: http://localhost:9080/insight/servelet/dispatch when the context root was set to “Insight”. By changing “insight” to “Insight” and building the application with the proper boxes check, restarting the Cognos and the WAS service, my problem was solved.

So the URI is case sensitive… i did not know that.

Thanks for sharing the solution! :slight_smile: