Cognos service does not start

[ ERROR ] CFG-ERR-0106 IBM Cognos Configuration did not receive a response from the IBM Cognos 8 service in the time allotted. Check that IBM Cognos 8 service is available and properly configured.

Oracle: 11g client
Java: 1.5

I am looking for help understanding and resolving this issue; thanks.

I checked the cbs_isrunning.log and it has the following message; which makes me believe it is running. But in such case I shouldn’t have received the above error in configuration, correct? Hence this post.

Mon Jun 06 14:17:20 2011 INFO t[1d4] CBSNTService Testing if service “IBM Cognos 8” is running.
Mon Jun 06 14:17:20 2011 INFO t[1d4] CBSNTService Service “IBM Cognos 8” is running.

I checked the cbsrun.log file and it has following error logged many times in the same file;

Mon Jun 06 14:05:33 2011 INFO t[ed0] CBSBootstrapService attempt to load config from “./bootstrap_win32.xml"
Mon Jun 06 14:05:33 2011 ERROR t[ed0] CBSSpawnAction spawn failed, errno: 3
Mon Jun 06 14:05:33 2011 ERROR t[ed0] CBSSpawnAction Spawning child process:
Path: C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin/bin/java.exe
Parameters:
“C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin/bin/java.exe”
-Xrs
-Xmx768m
”-cp"
"…/tomcat4.1.27/bin/bootstrap.jar;C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin/lib/tools.jar"
"-Dcatalina.base=…/tomcat4.1.27"
"-Dcatalina.home=…/tomcat4.1.27"
"-Djava.io.tmpdir=…/bin…/temp"
"-Djava.endorsed.dirs=C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin/lib/endorsed;…/tomcat4.1.27/common/endorsed"
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap
start

I checked the cbsstart.log file and it has the following log;

Mon Jun 06 14:05:33 2011 INFO t[5dc] CBSNTService Attempt to starting service "IBM Cognos 8"
Mon Jun 06 14:05:33 2011 INFO t[5dc] CBSNTService Starting service "IBM Cognos 8"
Mon Jun 06 14:05:33 2011 INFO t[5dc] CBSNTService Waiting for service to start…
Mon Jun 06 14:10:38 2011 INFO t[5dc] CBSNTService Started service “IBM Cognos 8”

Mon Jun 06 14:10:38 2011 INFO t[5dc] CBSBootstrapService attempt to load config from "C:\Program Files\cognos\c8./bin./bootstrap_win32.xml"
Mon Jun 06 14:10:39 2011 ERROR t[5dc] CBSSocketCommand failed to connect, CAM error: -12CAM-CRP-0026 The underlying socket: ‘10.11.12.43:9300’ returned an error.10061Could not connect the socket, errno: 0x274d(10061)
Mon Jun 06 14:10:41 2011 ERROR t[5dc] CBSSocketCommand failed to connect, CAM error: -12CAM-CRP-0026 The underlying socket: ‘10.11.12.43:9300’ returned an error.10061Could not connect the socket, errno: 0x274d(10061)
Mon Jun 06 14:10:43 2011 ERROR t[5dc] CBSSocketCommand failed to connect, CAM error: -12CAM-CRP-0026 The underlying socket: ‘10.11.12.43:9300’ returned an error.10061Could not connect the socket, errno: 0x274d(10061)
Mon Jun 06 14:10:44 2011 INFO t[5dc] CBSBootstrapService testReadyByPingingWin - child processes are not ready, stop trying.

Hi kavsoo,

which cognos version are you installing?
Did you test the cognos content store connection in cognos configuration manager?

Oracle is where the content store is located i guess. Did you copy the oracle JDBC driver in the cognos installation directory?

looks like not enough memory for your java configuration. It is set to 768MB, so how many GB does your server have?

Do you see during startup a java.exe process? and is a cogserver.log file generated? in the install dir\c8\logs directory?

Cognosguru,

Thanks for your response. The server on which cognos is installed, has 2GB for memory and 25GB for space. Pretty low but we are going to run only Cognos for testing purposes on this server.

cogserver.log is not created in the directory.

MartijnC,

The cognos version is 8.4.1. I ran the test for all individual configurations and it worked okay, but for the all important cognos service.

I copied (ojdbc5.jar file) from oracle folder to cognos folder, is this what you are referring to?

thanks.

I see that you use an external java version instead of the “embedded” jre version which comes with Cognos.
The cogserver.log is created when the tomcat applicationb server is started. Seems an issue with java

i guess you did set the JAVA_HOME variable.?
in the log file is see C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin/bin/java.exe

change the JAVA_HOME to C:\Program Files\Java\jre6 or remove the JAVA_HOME variable.
delete all files in the log directory,open configuration manager and start Cognos again.

Thanks to MartijnC and CognosGuru for your responses.

Pretty much along the lines of MartijnC, IBM provided the following steps to make it work. This started the cognos service, but still having some issues with starting the cognos connection portal and framework manager… awaiting IBM response.

1. Remove java_home from both user and system environment variables,

2. reboot the machine

3. ensure that the Cognos service is setup to start ‘Manual’ and not ‘Automatic’

4. make sure that Cognos service is not running

5. navigate to c:\program files\cognos\c8\configuration, locate cogstartup.xml, rename it (for ex. to cogstartup_old.xml)

6. place your exported cognos configuration file into configuration folder, rename to cogstartup.xml

7. then regenerate crypto keys:

• Rename the three keystore directories under the /configuration folder - csk, encryptkeypair, signkeypair to csk_orig, encryptkeypair_orig etc…

• Rename the /temp/cam/freshness file (if this exists).

• Rename the /configuration/caserial file (if it exists).

• Launch and save Cognos Configuration.

(The above will generate a new set of keystores such as csk, encryptkeypair,signkeypair, caserial and freshness)

1. Start the service.

thanks

Thanks for your feedback :slight_smile:

What kind of problems do you experience now?

I assume you use IIS6? Which gateway protocol do you use (configured in the configuration manager)? cognos.cgi or cognosisapi.dll?

isapi protocol does not work on a 64bit OS. cognos.cgi does work on 32 and 64 bit OS.

If you configured isapi, change this to cognos.cgi and restart cognos again.