Cognos OS Admin User Configuration

I am planning to change the unix operating system user on cognos application server. Where to update the same in cognos application.

Hi Kool, I wonder if you ever worked out how to change the Unix operating system user on the Cognos application server. Here are some things to consider as users go about this process pretty frequently.

Cognos will run as whatever operating system user is running the Cognos service on the server. This means that whatever user runs cogconfig.sh -s or whatever other means you use to start Cognos will be the user that runs the Cognos service. This means that you don’t need to directly reconfigure something in Cognos Configuration, but you might need to get your server administrator involved if they manage systemd or whatever other service launcher typically launches Cognos.

One thing that folks sometimes forget is that certain behavior can be built in to the operating system user that may not be applicable to other users on the system automatically. One thing that I have seen before is the dynamic library path LD_LIBRARY_PATH or similar or the system path PATH variables will be set specifically for the Cognos user in something like the user’s profile script. This would be something to watch when changing the operating system user. You may want to verify that data source connections, particularly CQM ones that use native drivers, are still working after the OS user change.