Cognos monitoring with AppDynamics

Has anyone used AppDynamics to monitor both the machine and jvm?
We’re evaluating AppDynamics on a number of different machines and I would like to monitor tomcat. I’ve been able to setup the machineagent but the java agent doesn’t seem to be running when I start Cognos.

Please send an email to appman@appdynamics.com and I’ll get someone to assist you.

App Man.

[quote=“TROndrey, post:1, topic:559”]Has anyone used AppDynamics to monitor both the machine and jvm?
We’re evaluating AppDynamics on a number of different machines and I would like to monitor tomcat. I’ve been able to setup the machineagent but the java agent doesn’t seem to be running when I start Cognos.[/quote]

[quote=“App Man, post:2, topic:559”]Please send an email to appman@appdynamics.com and I’ll get someone to assist you.

App Man.

[quote author=TROndrey link=topic=752.msg1898#msg1898 date=1325694857]
Has anyone used AppDynamics to monitor both the machine and jvm?
We’re evaluating AppDynamics on a number of different machines and I would like to monitor tomcat. I’ve been able to setup the machineagent but the java agent doesn’t seem to be running when I start Cognos.
[/quote][/quote]

Awesome, thank you!

I was able to get the AppDynamics Java Agent running. Turns out the Cognos startup.sh and its Tomcat catalina.sh script are pretty useless.

So to get the java agent running you need to launch it from:

/c10_64/bin64/bootstrap_zlinux64.xml

Add the following line to:

-classpath ${install_path}/tomcat/bin/bootstrap.jar:${java_home}/lib/tools.jar -Dcom.ibm.cognos.disp.useDaemonThreads=true -Dcatalina.base=${install_path}/tomcat -Dcatalina.home=${install_path}/tomcat -Djava.io.tmpdir=${temp} -Djava.endorsed.dirs=${java_home}/lib/endorsed:${java_home}/jre/lib/endorsed:${install_path}/tomcat/lib/endorsed [b]-javaagent:/c10_64/tomcat/appagent/javaagent.jar[/b] org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap start