Cognos 8.4.1 opinion

Hey there,

Just wondering if anyone out there start using (successfully or not) new Cognos 8.4.1 release. What is your big challenge? Any big drawback? Any new and exciting features?

By reading what is new document I’m not seeing anything major besides FireFox and IE8 officially supported now. Do all studios work with FireFox now?

Anyone want to share opinion if it worth to start brand new installation (not like simple upgrade with SPs or FPs)? I’m currently in 8.4 FP2, so want to see if any benefit to try with 8.4.1 or wait for next major release.

Thanks guys for your time!

Hi Alex,

i have version 8.4.1 up and running and i have not seen significant new features yet.

Firefox 3.5 is working and supported now for all studios except for event studio. ???

The installation did not take much time because the reports and contentstore are upgraded during the first startup with the configuration manager. Here is the fix list of version 8.4.1

See if you experience problems which are solved in the 8.4.1 release, otherwise i would say “never change a working configuration…”

cheers.

Thanks for confirmation! Glad to hear that I’m not missing anything if I’m still not upgrading to this version. Yes, I read already this fix list and therefore I’m not sure if any other purpose of this version other then bug fix.

Although, I have one question: you mentioned that everything upgraded seamless after first start up. Did you install 8.4.1 over previous version or you migrated deployment and then started up your new environment? Just want to make sure I’m not missing a step here…

Also, you said all studios are up except Event Studio. Do you Metric installed? How that working now with 8.4.1 and Firefox? Did you test it on Windows 7 by any chance?

Thanks again for your time here!

Alex

Alex,

I used uninstall but i install it in another directory

1. Backup you contenstore and metric store databases
  2. uninstall all 8.2 FP2 components
  3. copied the remains of the directory to a temp directory (all changes you made in templates, xml etc ) will be overwritten during the installation of 8.4.1.
  4. install 8…4.1 components
  5. configure and start cognos in configuration manager. The content store and all content is upgrade to the 8.4.1 version.
  6. copy the changed file back if or make the same changes in the file like you did in the 8.4 FP2 version.
  7. test,test,test :slight_smile:

I did not install Metrics 8.4.1 yet, but it supports firefox 3.5 as well.

Microsoft Windows 7 is supported as Active but for Browser and Client only. Which means, only browser, framework manager, map manager, metrics designer and transformer, not server components.

Alex,

look here for the supported environments for cognos 8.4.1

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=3442&uid=swg27017522

I have been using 8.4.1 for a while, and my experience is that it seems to be pretty stable, and it fixes a few “negative undocumented features” in 8.4.

So far, I haven’t found anything that broke as a result of moving to 8.4.1 (hope I’m not tempting fate by saying that!) :slight_smile:

MF.

In v8.4, I can’t use date range to drill from cube to relational package so it was recommended by IBM to upgrade to 8.4.1.

We also have Cognos Planning 8.4.

What are the steps in upgrading from 8.4 to 8.4.1?

1. Back up your content store database and your configuration and deployment folders within program files\cognos\c8 (just to be safe!)
  2. Uninstall Cognos 8.4
  3. Install Cognos 8.4.1 into the same folder structure
  4. Launch Cognos Configuration, save the config, and start the service.

Regards,

MF.

[quote=“admin, post:4, topic:140”]Alex,

I used uninstall but i install it in another directory

1. Backup you contenstore and metric store databases
  2. uninstall all 8.2 FP2 components
  3. copied the remains of the directory to a temp directory (all changes you made in templates, xml etc ) will be overwritten during the installation of 8.4.1.
  4. install 8…4.1 components
  5. configure and start cognos in configuration manager. The content store and all content is upgrade to the 8.4.1 version.
  6. copy the changed file back if or make the same changes in the file like you did in the 8.4 FP2 version.
  7. test,test,test :slight_smile:

I did not install Metrics 8.4.1 yet, but it supports firefox 3.5 as well.

Microsoft Windows 7 is supported as Active but for Browser and Client only. Which means, only browser, framework manager, map manager, metrics designer and transformer, not server components.[/quote]

Dear all.
After installing Metrics 8.4.1, can you provide your feedback on any upgrade drawbacks from 8.2 if any ?

Many thanks in advance
Julien

@MFGF,

you said:

I have been using 8.4.1 for a while, and my experience is that it seems to be pretty stable, and it fixes a few "negative undocumented features" in 8.4.

what are you meaning with this? We are planning to upgrade our 8.3 SP2 to 8.4.1 FP2.

Affected products are:
BI server
Metric Server
Planning Server
Transformer

and the development tools of course… ::slight_smile:

[quote=“Ellen, post:7, topic:140”]In v8.4, I can’t use date range to drill from cube to relational package so it was recommended by IBM to upgrade to 8.4.1.

We also have Cognos Planning 8.4.

What are the steps in upgrading from 8.4 to 8.4.1?[/quote]

This depends how u modelled your time dimensions in frameworkmanager.
It is not necessary to upgrade just for this problem.
Setup a current date and use 2 time dimensions with the right scoping to solve this.